Friday, August 17, 2012

What the Heck?

I'm still a bit confused about this whole Internet dating thing. Just to update, I have not heard anything from DJ Trivia Guy since my last post. Shaking my head and shrugging my shoulders....

I have to admit that I've been less than regular about checking in on Jdate and Eharmony. Imagine my surprsie when I looked at Eharmony mid last week and had a message waitng for me. It was from a guy who I'll call CYT, short for Cute, Young and Tall who happens to be 6'2" and 10 years younger than me. We had talked via the Net and texting for a while several months ago and I felt like I had gotten to know him fairly well. 

It was mid March, and we had just started "talking" as my teenage daughters tell me it's called. "Talking" is the precurser now to going out. So CYT had sent me a message on Eharmony, and we started trading messages back and forth. He then sent me his cell number so we could text directly. That was a life saver since at the moment, I was on a 13 hour bus ride with my daughter's 8th grade class. Flirting with a cute guy sure helped pass the time. During the week long trip, we texted quite often and got to know each other pretty well. We even see eye to eye politically. 

After a few days, I felt like I was the one making all of the effort to communitcate. So to test this theory, I stopped initiating the conversations every morning. Surprise, surprise, I didn't hear anything from him. Until last week. 

He had left me a message on Eharmony. He was trying to text me and accidentally deleted my number. Ok. I can buy that. So I answered him with my cell number.

He texted back pretty quickly and we went back and forth all morning. Not only is he Cute, Young and Tall, but he is in Human Resources and I happen to be looking for a job. 

After sending him my resume, we decided to meet for lunch THAT DAY! I hurried up to get myself ready and met him at a local burger joint. We had an amazing time. He even asked me out for the following Friday night and left me with a quick peck on the lips and a swat on the tush. 

I'm all for being direct and not playing games, but I'm wondering if what happened next is the new normal, or do I just seem to attract guys who are just a bit off? So CYT makes it quite clear to me that among other things, he is not interested in a relationship unless the sex is interesting and often, starting pretty much immediately. Now don't get me wrong. I happen to really like sex, have been known to be a bit kinky even and am not opposed to having it early and often in a relationship.  But to have it laid out (pun intended)  like that in black and white hasn't happened to me before. So after a quite lively conversation in which I neither committed to, or opposed hot sex in the near future, guess what? I DIDN'T HEAR FROM HIM ABOUT GOING OUT TONIGHT! 

What is with men these days? Have the egos gotten so out of control that women have to initiate everything? I'd love to hear from you all about your experiences. Have things changed that much in the 20ish years I was not on the dating scene? It's a whole new world out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment