Thursday, August 9, 2012

Ya think you really know someone...

When you become suddenly single, it is interesting to see what others reactions are. I remember in particular one night when a long time friend I'll call Alaskan Diver for the purpose of this story, or AD for short. AD had been a friend of mine and my husband's for years. We spent many hours scuba diving and just hanging out with him. Over the years we met his now ex-wife and a whole string of girlfriends and jobs that followed. As much as I love AD, he is the kind of guy who will never grow up. In the 25 years  I've known him, he has been a SCUBA instructor, salvage diver, salmon fisherman, freight ship captain, underwater photographer, cruise ship dive program coordinator and many more things I'm sure I've forgotten. But he is a loveable guy who I've always had fun with. 

So fast forward to about a year after I became single. AD came to town to visit and of course he decided to stay with me. We went out for a night on the town. Had a blast. Headed downtown walked around, got something to eat, stopped in to a few bars, probably drank more than we should have....

We are standing in the parking garage getting ready to head home. Being the gentleman that he is, AD is standing next to me opening my car door. Next thing I know, he leans over and kisses me. (Which as an aside, I have to say was quite enjoyable) But huh? How did that happen? Not only has he had the same girlfriend for several years, but where did this come from? He was never anything less than a perfect gentleman while I was married. So, am I all of a sudden fair game since I'm single? Had he been harboring secret carnal thoughts about me all along? Unfortunately, I am not going to reveal a long awaited insight to the psyche of the male mind. If I knew that answer, I wouldn't be writing in the little known blog. I'd be rich and famous. But alas, while that may come at a future date, I have no clue how the male mind works. 

By now I'm sure you are wondering whatever became of AD and I and our budding(?) relationship. I am happy to report that our little foray over to the dark side did not affect our friendship whatsoever. I still see him when he comes to town, we keep in contact long distance and remain the good friends we always were. Interestingly enough, neither of us has ever mentioned our little indiscretion, but I can tell by the little twinkle in his eye that although we will probably never go back there, he has not forgotten that evening...

No comments:

Post a Comment